Stanton was founded by Thomas and James McGrath. They established a post office in December 1882. It was named for their mother, whose maiden name was Stanton.
Stanton was platted in March 1883 and was filed at the Register of Deeds office in Morton County, Dakota Territory. Surveyor work was done by H.H. Harmon.
Some of the earliest settlers include August Borner, Edward Heinemeyer, George Williams, John Wee, Ed Councilman, David Enyart, Henry Loy, Joseph Stephens, George Knoop, Charles Egar, Magnus Swanson, Hellick Bagley, Herman Danielson, Frank Ankarberg, William Jones, D.E. Wood, A.C. McCrorie, all settled in the area in the 1880's.
Historic Time Line
B.C. Native Americans farmed and traded
1738 1st Recorded Contact, Sier de la Verendrye
1864 Steam Boat, Captain Grant Marsh
1880 1st Doctor, S.C. Walker
1882 1st Post Office, James McGrath postmaster
1883 1st School
1884 1st Newspaper, A.C. McCrorie editor
1885 Stanton elected as Mercer County "County Seat"
1908 1st Bank, German State Bank, L.L. Beinhauer cashier
1909 Stanton incorporated as a "village"
1910 1st Church built, Reverend Schult
1912 1st Train, Northern Pacific Railway
1912 Public Telephone Exchange wired in, Alber Withnell
1916 1st Streets were surveyed and brought to grade
1917 1st City Electricity, Ben and John Janssen franchise owners
1928 1st Airplane and Airport, Martin Schow owner
1948 Sewer System installed
1966 Streets are paved
1979 Water System is installed